04 January 2011

Something poetic for the new year

Ahh, as the new year rolls in the big question on everyone's lips: what will this year hold. For an author the biggest part of that is how much time will I find to write, and once I've finished is anyone going to want it.

Poetry is one of those things that writers find very hard to get accepted by publishers - I can only be glad it's not something I've had any inclination to try my hand at since awful teenage scribblings. [hides her head in embarrassment] With that hint at my own poetic prowess in mind, I spotted something the other day that struck me as both published and poetic (although in this case I don't think the poetry was intentional).

I don't know why but it really reminds me of this quote from William Butler Yeats:
 But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams.

No comments: