14 October 2014

eBook Reader - oooo exciting

I'm a eReader gal, have been for a good few years now. Love 'em. When I go on holiday I don't have to make the difficult call: clothes or books. Books usually won then either I want something I didn't bring, or I'd have to wash my clothes more often. So now I throw my reader in my handbag and voila, many books to read, many choices at my finger tips.

But if you know me, then you know this already, so what's go me excited. Two new readers peaking their noses over the horizon.

1. Kobo Aura H2O
The Canadian manufacturer has announced the Aura H2O, the first waterproof eReader, will on sale in October. That's right waterproof!
"Kobo says it spoke to its customers when designing the Aura H20 and found that reading revolved around what it calls the five Bs:
  • Bed
  • Bath
  • Beach
  • Backyard
  • Bus"

Bath and Beach just shouted out as an opportunity and Kobo is filling it.
You know what other problem it solves? ... Reading in the shower. You just can't put that book down, no time for a bath, reluctantly you jump in the shower. The Aura H2O solves something even paper books didn't do. Rest it on the soap rack and hope you don't get shampoo in your eyes.

What makes this so special is the screen. 300 pixels per inch, which makes text incredibly sharp and readable, plus the screen is higher contrast. Front-light with ambient light detector. The screen also sits flush with the front of the Voyage, making a single flat pane of glass. Yes, it's glass instead of plastic, but Amazon has "micro-etched" a matted texture to it so that it's non-reflective in sunlight. (which has always been my issue with reading on iPads / phones)

Summary


Kobo Aura H2O
Kindle Voyage
Display size
6.8”
6"
resolution
265 ppi
300 ppi
size
179 x 129 x 9.7 mm
162 x 115 x 7.6 mm
weight
233g
188g
front light
yes
yes
wi-fi
yes
yes
storage
4 GB
4 GB
battery
Up to 2 months
six weeks
formats
EPUB, EPUB3, PDF, TXT, HTML, RTF, CBZ, CBR, XHTML and MOBI
AZW3, AZW, TXT, PDF, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively; HTML, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP through conversion
waterproof
yes
no


No comments: